01 August 2007

I went to Chicago in July.

I visited Chicago in July to see as many friends as I could. The Pitchfork Music Fest was going on that weekend and I was able to score a few free tickets so I saw some music too. A pretty great weekend.

The first is a pic of my friend Karen with her daughter Opal.
Opal is the daughter of Courtland and Karen and she's about a year old now. Opal, not Karen. Karen is older than that, around my age. I stayed with Courtland and Karen when I was homeless before I moved to Austin. They are awesome people.


Next one is of my friend Joe. Joe goes to architecture school at UT Austin with me. I also spin records with Joe and our friend Ryan. We're pretty great DJs. We used to have a weekly gig spinning records but I don't know if that's going to happen anymore. Someday I'll get a picture of the 3 of us.

This might not be the greatest picture of Joe but I wanted to put it up because I
convinced him to drive up to Chicago from Lexington. We saw some live music and drank some drinks and did a little dancing at Danny's. But first he and his girlfriend wanted to go out for fancy sushi, which we did. You can tell by and the Asians with the funny white coats and fancy bitches behind us.


Last but not least: drinking PBRs on a warm summer day playing
kick ball on the roof of the Butcher Shop. I don't know if it gets much better than this.




I stayed with my good friend Rob (one of the guys playing 4 Square) and Sara and saw a bunch of other friends too (Kevin Mosier, Chris Connelly, Jeff Parker, Jason Ajemian, Josh Abrams, Kim Ambrez, Adriana Durant , Dante Carfagnia, so many people...)

On Friday night I saw Slint perform Spiderland, GZA do Liquid Swords and Sonic Youth play Daydream Nation. Each was amazing in its own way, though I have to say Sonic Youth killed. Kim Gordon just danced up and down for about the last 15 minutes of their set.

On Sunday I saw some more music at Pitchfork with Joe. Some of the highlights for me were Cadence Weapon and The Field. Cadence Weapon is, apparently, a Canadian and is also a great rapper. Plus he was wearing a Suns Charles Barkley jersey, which is pretty fresh.



Then The Field played. He is a Swedish DJ/Musician who makes epic minimal techno. That too was pretty great. He also apparently likes Flock of Seagulls and sailors.

No comments: